For-Profit College Group Sued as U.S. Lays Out Wide Fraud
By TAMAR LEWIN August 8, 2011
The Department of Justice and four states on Monday filed a multibillion-dollar fraud suit against the Education Management Corporation, the nation's second-largest for-profit college company, charging that it was not eligible for the $11 billion in state and federal financial aid it had received from July 2003 through June 2011. While the civil lawsuit is one of many raising similar charges against the expanding for-profit college industry, the case is the first in which the government intervened to back whistle-blowers' claims that a company consistently violated federal law by paying recruiters based on how many students it enrolled.
DEVRY IS NEXT. The Department of Justice is currently reviewing the many complaints from students & whistle-blower employees. DeVry University & other for-profit schools educate less than 10 percent of all college students but get 25 percent of all Pell grants, he said. For-profit school students make up 44 percent of the federal student loan defaults. Part of this is due to the fact that for-profit schools' consumer base are disproportionately poor students and students of color who are the first in their families to go to college.
Too many students are paying $20,000 to $30,000 for associate's degrees but their diplomas aren't landing them jobs.
"They're no more employable than they were before and now they're deep in debt," said Durbin, the assistant Senate majority leader.
For-profit schools are fighting to keep their profits and attempting to stop new regulations that would withhold federal education loans and grants from its schools with high student debt and low student loan repayments.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- University Education
- Review category
- Review rating
- 5 out of 5
You May Also Like
- "I enrolled in devry in the summer of 2010, with promises of a video game design program. Was told that the program was going to make an entrance on my..."
- "YESTERDAY I DECIDED TO QUIT DEVRY AFTER 2 1/2 YRS. THE FOLLOWING REASONS WHY I MADE THIS DECISION ARE: FIRST. I SHOULD HAVE DONE MY HOMEWORK ON DEVRY BUT I DID..."
- "I would like to complain the fraud institution STEi and COSS. STEi in a Singapore college which is providing 3 months studies and 6 months internship. The Principal marketing agent..."
- "I had a five month old German Shepherd and I was taking him regularly to Banfield Pet Hospital on 6134 E. Colonial Dr Orlando, FL 32807, every time we..."
- "I made a reservation for a rental car last night on advantage.com. I read all the verbiage that was on my reservation screen. Apparently, you have to click..."
- "Beware of Orlando Florida Credit Repair - StateWide Credit Repair! Full of false advertisements!!! My wife and I paid this company a flat fee of $450.00 to repair our credit to remove..."
- "BED BUGS!!! I purchased a matress and box spring from the Lansing Mi location. I have lived in the same house for 24 years. We have never had an issue...."
- "Building a home is supposed to be an enjoyable experience. However, Wilson Parker Homes, their preferred lender Bank South and contractors have managed to make our experience stressful and unpleasant..."
- "I accepted a proposal for the purchase and installation of a new computer. The proposal included "Onsite/In-Home Service after remote diagnosis (performed by Absolute Communications) 3 years". I purchased..."