Devry University - DeVry Is A SCAM
For-Profit College Group Sued as U.S. Lays Out Wide Fraud
By TAMAR LEWIN August 8, 2011
The Department of Justice and four states on Monday filed a multibillion-dollar fraud suit against the Education Management Corporation, the nation's second-largest for-profit college company, charging that it was not eligible for the $11 billion in state and federal financial aid it had received from July 2003 through June 2011. While the civil lawsuit is one of many raising similar charges against the expanding for-profit college industry, the case is the first in which the government intervened to back whistle-blowers' claims that a company consistently violated federal law by paying recruiters based on how many students it enrolled.
DEVRY IS NEXT. The Department of Justice is currently reviewing the many complaints from students & whistle-blower employees. DeVry University & other for-profit schools educate less than 10 percent of all college students but get 25 percent of all Pell grants, he said. For-profit school students make up 44 percent of the federal student loan defaults. Part of this is due to the fact that for-profit schools' consumer base are disproportionately poor students and students of color who are the first in their families to go to college.
Too many students are paying $20,000 to $30,000 for associate's degrees but their diplomas aren't landing them jobs.
"They're no more employable than they were before and now they're deep in debt," said Durbin, the assistant Senate majority leader.
For-profit schools are fighting to keep their profits and attempting to stop new regulations that would withhold federal education loans and grants from its schools with high student debt and low student loan repayments.
More Review Details
You May Also Like
- "The software is lousy, the textbooks are overpriced, and support? what support? They made me pay TWICE b/c they happily took my payment but didn't give me access to my..."
- "YESTERDAY I DECIDED TO QUIT DEVRY AFTER 2 1/2 YRS. THE FOLLOWING REASONS WHY I MADE THIS DECISION ARE: FIRST. I SHOULD HAVE DONE MY HOMEWORK ON DEVRY BUT I DID..."
- "Professor Aaron Clark of Brookhaven College 3939 Valley View Lane, Farmers Branch, Tx 75244 (972) 860-4700 voted worst Professor in poll. Creepy, arrogant and God Complex. My experience with Aaron..."
- "Sent the following to Quickie Help: Hello - to whom this may concern, I have purchased a a quickie twist mop (Twist Mop with Spot Scrubber) - and the mop head broke..."
- "I opened a 36 package of oreos and found a cookie that was incorrectly put together where one side of the cookie was upside down instead of showing the oreo..."
- "This company is unethical. Let me explain why. If you order a new piece of furniture chances are you will receive a used piece. If it does not arrive at..."
- "I order a black, sized small dress on January 13, 2016. I have not yet received my order, I'm expecting to have the dress with me by this Wednesday. I..."
- "I made an appointment almost two months prior to dropping my dog, Bruce, off at Petco (103, Commerace Way, Woburn 01801). His appointment was at 12:00 pm and I figured..."
- "Between 2005 thru 2007 I contracted & made several contract Addendums w/Exotic Waterfalls & Rockscapes, by & thru Shelby Bruns, the owner & President, whom I had known for over..."