Orlando, Florida
1.1K views 32 comments

The main reason consumers remove their complaints from companies like DeVry is because they are threatened with lawsuits among other threats. Most businesses like DeVry know the unlikelihood of students taking legal actions against their well-paid aggressive lawyers. DeVry is known to hire people simply to review any negative comments/complaints against them on the Internet. These people are paid employees of DeVry to defend the reputation of their company regardless of the numerous legitimate complaints against them. Ever wonder why DeVry expands their Business to areas where they know they'll get the most tuition paid for with government grants. The company has expanded its operation in Latin American markets like Brazil and is looking to expand more abroad. Lack of government regulations on businesses like DeVry fails to protect consumers who are misled by their promise of providing a superior higher education. DeVry's executives are well-aware how easy it is to get rich taking advantage of students who won't have the resources necessary to hire a lawyer protecting their student rights when they are ripped off. AND RIP OFF IS WHAT DEVRY IS. Don't be fooled by their ads or recruiting personnel. These are well-trained individuals working only for DeVry's best interests and they make big money for every enrolled student who signs a contract. Do the research and be aware that most of the encouraging comments posted for DeVry are made by paid employees and not actual students. Students rarely have time from their studies to post complaints if they weren't legit and if DeVry provided them an upright education.

Brick and mortar traditional non profit schools are the best choice where the primary concern is education not the for profit *** job DeVry thrives on. DeVry is a business institution so don't fall for the hype from their savoir-faire employees. Their associates are well-paid to mislead consumers to sign their contract. Hook, line and sinker is what they say. DeVry's primary interest is profit and not quality education. If you want a quality education, look elsewhere.

Review about: Legal Actions.

Review #199181 is a subjective opinion of a user.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Devry University?

Comments

I agree

Chicago, Illinois, United States #761741

I graduated from DeVry in 2002 with a degree in CIS. The degree is pretty much worthless. It is not taken seriously. However, it is an actual Bachelors Degree. If a job requires it, you have one. There's no debating that. It's an actual Bachelors Degree.

A grad school probably won't accept your credits, but some will. It is not at all a degree that carries any weight. You will not impress anyone by saying you went to DeVry. In fact you'll often get looks because frankly, it's a useless degree. But again, it is a degree.

I mention this because I finally landed a computer programming job in 2006, four years after graduating. Why did I get this job? It wasn't because of the skills I learned at DeVry. It was for a junior level position paying $35,000 with benefits, but a degree was required and the hiring developer filtered the results for people with a degree, which I had. So again, it is a degree.

I would HIGHLY recommend going to a state school instead. HIGHLY recommend it.

ChristopherStanford
Austin, Texas, United States #725626

After reviewing numerous critiques of for profit colleges it would appear that the real

culprit is the American High School diploma mill. HS Graduates without a clue regarding

their best options for secondary education. Where are the parents and guidance

counselors? After one year of teaching physics and engineering at a local HS

I found the district policy of "no failure" for disadvantaged students gave many the illusion

that they had the necessary skills for navigating their future. Across the nation

substandard differentiated HS diplomas abound and graduates do not have the

wherewithal of a 5th grader. CTE curriculum is just a national panecea for those

policy makers to keep the myth of STEM deficiencies perpetuated. Our HS graduates

cannot read and understand the contracts they are signing! The business of business

is to make money and if fools sign contracts and educational loan agencies are providing

money to them without due diligence what other outcomes are to be expected. If one

Cannot meet the college entry requirements of a local community college without taking

numerous remedial classes where does the problem really lie? The truth is that the problem of "for profit" colleges is predicated on our "free" K-12 education, a nation

of illiterate fools fuels the fire. Attendance and extra-curriculars were important than content mastery. Three hours of...

my sympathies go out to you.

to ChristopherStanford Chicago, Illinois, United States #761765

I remember in my first "comp 110 - intro to computing" course I took in March 1998. They taught us MS WORD and Excel. A bit odd for what should be a programming intensive curriculum, but I quickly learned they needed to teach people how to use computers. There were people in my class who never even turned on a PC before and these people were paying $600/credit hour to learn how to program?

I will say a few of them went on to graduate and have a good career. I graduated and have a great career. But the VAST majority dropped out within 2-3 trimesters with a TON of debt.

It's not a total scam, but it is not worth your time or money.

Ex professor
Costa Mesa, California, United States #707640

I have been a visiting professor for the past 3 years.After staff recruit student after student off the streets, I could take no more.

We have students without HS diplomas, and students that are homeless. The recruiters are good. They convince them that this will better their lives. The problem is, the students don't even have transportation to get there!

Students quit after a few sessions with several thousands of $'s in loans. I voiced my concerns, and guess what?

I'm no longer being assigned classes.Good.

Ticked off prior student

I am a prior student of DeVry and it sucks.I was part time for three years, did not earn a degree and am stuck with 56K in debt and NO education.

It is one of the worst schools around. Now I have to pay back 56K in student loans before I can apply and go to get a degree from a reputable college.

I wouldn't recommend going to DeVry at all to anyone.:(

to Ticked off prior student Chicago, Illinois, United States #761743

Just awful.This is exactly what that school is designed for.

I finished with a Bachelors but I know for a fact, for the longest time, that degree held me back. It's useless.

I can recall them admitting people to the computer programming course who never even used a computer before.Granted, it's entirely possible to learn programming, but paying $600 a credit hour is insanity at that point and I'd say 95% of the people I started with were gone by the 4th trimester.

Jim
Castro Valley, California, United States #680877

I've read quite a few of the comments here.The REAL problem here are the organizations that regulate the accredidation of these types of schools.

Without the accredidation they can't get the government money which is their 'bread and butter'. Instead of being made at the schools entirely you people should be even MORE mad at these accrediting organizations which allow these false practices in the first place. If you're attending these types of schools to become an auto mechanic or landscaper they're fine. But getting some higher degree I doubt will get you very far at schools like this.

I mean, think about it.What employer wants to hire a DV guaduate and put them in a room populated with people who have guaduated from Cal-Berkeley or Stanford?

hammerman

Well the school is for profit...that should be one sign.

also you can transfer to/from credits from other private/public school...Why? well it's not an acredited school..

SO yes it is a scam

DeVry Visiting Professor

I am gone now.I lasted six months and couldn't mislead anymore.

I threw my blue badge out the car window and told the front office that ripping off poor kids with promises of bright futures with a McDegree and big debt was a crime against the youth of this nation. Please listen students! Go to your local junior college like President Obama suggests. Get an AA/AS without debt and then decide what you really want to study.

I felt awful when an 18 year-old student, usually poor-as-dirt and from Chicago's Westside, told me how he was going to be a biomedical engineer in three years when he couldn't write a sentence. However, the "advisors" have no problem with this fantasy since they get rewarded based on how many remedial students they can sucker out of the 'hood with promises of being a full-fledged bourgeois in three years if they only sign for the loan and burden themselves with a debt that many don't understand. Remember, these "advisors" are not social workers!

They are working a boiler room and prey on those seeking to better themselves.They get a percentage.