For-Profit College Group Sued as U.S. Lays Out Wide Fraud
By TAMAR LEWIN August 8, 2011
The Department of Justice and four states on Monday filed a multibillion-dollar fraud suit against the Education Management Corporation, the nation's second-largest for-profit college company, charging that it was not eligible for the $11 billion in state and federal financial aid it had received from July 2003 through June 2011. While the civil lawsuit is one of many raising similar charges against the expanding for-profit college industry, the case is the first in which the government intervened to back whistle-blowers' claims that a company consistently violated federal law by paying recruiters based on how many students it enrolled.
DEVRY IS NEXT. The Department of Justice is currently reviewing the many complaints from students & whistle-blower employees. DeVry University & other for-profit schools educate less than 10 percent of all college students but get 25 percent of all Pell grants, he said. For-profit school students make up 44 percent of the federal student loan defaults. Part of this is due to the fact that for-profit schools' consumer base are disproportionately poor students and students of color who are the first in their families to go to college.
Too many students are paying $20,000 to $30,000 for associate's degrees but their diplomas aren't landing them jobs.
"They're no more employable than they were before and now they're deep in debt," said Durbin, the assistant Senate majority leader.
For-profit schools are fighting to keep their profits and attempting to stop new regulations that would withhold federal education loans and grants from its schools with high student debt and low student loan repayments.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- University Education
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "This is a fair and honest review of my experience with DUSTIN VICE and his company http://alliancecoachingsystem.com/. He calls himself a “A professional, top accredited Personal & Business Development Coach,..."
- "Fraud Report – Heli Aviation, vs Niclas Herle (a.k.a. NH) Author: Dirk Peter, Flightstudent Date: Mo. 25. November 2013 Short Summary / Story line I took flight lessons at the Flightschool “Heli..."
- "Let me break it down for folks in real life. I attended a 2 hours free class from FB at a local hotel. The speaker shared enough information with me..."
- "I have been a owner for 10 yrs. we have a studio every other year. When we bought in 2005 they show you a big studio with walk in shower..."
- "Two chests shipped by UPS were destroyed in transit. UPs refuses to accept liability and bounces me to the local shipping agent, who bounces me back to UPS. UPS then..."
- "Beware of Orlando Florida Credit Repair - StateWide Credit Repair! Full of false advertisements!!! My wife and I paid this company a flat fee of $450.00 to repair our credit to remove..."
- "I am basically from Philippines and started working for Mr.Blane Curry 8 Months ago in the beginning his behavior was good with me. He appreciated me for all my work..."
- "Hi Hermes leather sucks. Replaced the leather belt once after making the customer wait for 4months. The replaced leather not same as the orginal one bought ,but accepted it knowing the wait..."
- "Brand new shoes with disintegrating sole. I have not worn them once. Its like the rubber is meltingI it is disintegrating. The sole is sticky to touch...."