People I dealt with:

Admissions advisor

Counselor 1

Counselor 2

Counselor 3

To start out, I went to a community college in Illinois. I was there for 5 semesters working toward an Associate's degree in networking. I was told at the community college that DeVry has a bachelor's degree for my major. So we met with an advisor at DeVry who gave us information about classes I'd have to take, costs, loans, etc. The advisor said that there were no more classes I would be able to take at the community college that would transfer over to DeVry for my bachelor's degree. By the way, my bachelor's degree was with DeVry's technical management program in networking.

After the admissions advisor we spoke with counselor 1 who pretty much said that I could get done with my degree in 3 semesters and said we qualify for financial aid (we applied for financial aid). So a couple days later we called regarding our financial aid. The counselor said we have no financial aid on record. We spoke to the counselor face to face and the counselor said that was student loans. So since they said 3 semesters we determined we would be able to afford it.

After I was at DeVry for maybe 3 weeks counselor 1 transferred and counselor 2 replaced counselor 1. Counselor 2 emailed me a list of classes I would have to take after the registrar got done transferring all of my credits from the community college to DeVry. I calculated that to 5 semesters. Keep in mind that I'm a full time student taking 4 classes per semester. We spoke to counselor 2 face to face and they gave me a list of classes to take at the community college and a list of classes to take at DeVry in order to get my bachelor's degree. So the admissions advisor and counselor 1 lied to us about how much time it would take to get my degree and there was actually more classes I could take at the community college. And all of the classes I took at DeVry in the semester I was there were all available to take at the community college. Along with the fact that my admissions advisor said that there were 3 classes from the community college that were equivalent to a networking class I needed and then maybe a month or 2 later counselor 2 said that those classes were re-evaluated and are not equivalent to a networking class.

So as I was taking classes again at the community college I ran into some problems. One problem was one class I was told to take hasn't been available in a long time and another class required a prerequisite which I was never told about. But for one class that wasn't available DeVry told me about an equivalent class that would transfer.

And keep in mind that I have my degree navigator, a sheet of paper with different sections that tell me about different classes I have to take, and the outline of classes I was given.

And I also called up DeVry a few times because between my degree navigator, sheet of paper, and the outline I was given not everything added up. Not to mention that the admissions advisor said that one math class I took at the community college was equivalent to DeVry's statistics math which is required for my degree and later said that that class wasn't equivalent to DeVry's statistics math.

Then after maybe a few months counselor 3 came in. I met once with counselor 2 and 3 at the same time and then after a year maybe counselor 2 transferred. As I keep comparing the 3 sources of information I was given things keep not adding up. My outline contains classes that I don't know where they fit in with my degree requirements, and the degree navigator and sheet of paper with multiple sections of requirements have different classes listed that I have to take.

So I call up the Dean and counselor 3 (keep in mind that DeVry can't keep their words straight) and ask them about some things. The Dean says I need 1 networking class that was listed in the degree navigator that counselor 3 said was optional and wasn't listed on the outline. And with the degree navigator I was told I have to take a class that the dean added but no one ever told me about until I spoke with counselor 3. It wasn't even on any of the sheets of paper I was given.

Not to mention that when I was with counselor 3 and they were going over everything with me (keep in mind that I know where I stand as far as my degree goes, it's just the classes I need that no one can seem to get right) I was told I only needed a certain number more of credits before I was done with my degree. So I added everything up with what they told me and the credits of what they told me added up to more than what I needed. So I guess you can say I kind of busted them trying to get more money out of me. So me and counselor 3 kept adding up all of the credits and was told one of my networking classes required would be optional.

Not to mention that I took pictures of the pieces of paper I had and sent them to counselor 3 and they said something about because things have changed that that's not applicable anymore.

So DeVry can pretty much do whatever they want as far as changing what classes you need.

Problems with software, classes, and degree requirements

As far as the software goes, DeVry doesn't even know their own software agreements. I was told that students can get one free full copy of Microsoft office 2007 but can only install it on the same computer only 3 times or something like that. I have uninstalled it from one computer and installed it on another computer quite a few times.

As far as problems with the classes go, I was taking a Business Law class and my myscribe book started downloading automatically so I figured that's one less book I have to buy. After a week it disappears from my computer and I call up DeVry and they transfer me to myscribe and I am able to download the book again with no problem. After maybe 1-2 weeks go by it disappears again. This time I called up myscribe and they said I wasn't supposed to even have been able to download it and they said they don't know why I was able to get it in the first place. So about half the class got screwed with that and we got an extension on the homework.

DeVry can't even get my degree requirements straight. When I went to new student orientation they said for engineering majors that I have to have a 3.0 gpa (which counselor 1 told me had to be cumulative) and for all over majors they need a 2.0 gpa. When counselor 2 was there I emailed them to make sure I know what I need and I thought that I need a C or higher for a class to pass. Counselor 2 emailed me and said that I need a D in each class to pass and I need a cumulative gpa of 2.0 to get my degree. And when I was about to take college algebra (Math 114) I was told I need a B or higher for that class and that's the only class I need a B or higher in. Not to mention that for the networking classes that when I went to try to sign up for one counselor 2 said that those were only available online or at the Chicago campus. No one ever told us that.

DeVry has no curriculum. They are corrupt, have staff that don't know what they're doing, and all they want is your money. Don't go to DeVry unless you have to. Attend a different school or something.

But DeVry has excellent resources and good teachers. That's probably the only good thing about DeVry.

Had an Experience with Devry University?

Comments

GOV.SCOTT FIRES ALL OF CENTRAL FLORIDA’S WORKFORCE STAFF AND THEIR BOARD OF DIRECTORS NON OTHER THAN "STEVE BROWN" - "PRESIDENT OF DEVRY" CENTRAL FLORIDA LOCATIONS INCLUDING FLORIDA'S WORKFORCE CENTRAL’S DIRECTOR. :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin...

The investigation into Workforce Central Florida included one of the stupidest marketing schemes which the taxpayers of Florida ended paying for. It involved a thoughtless marketing campaign with the chairman of the board for the job agency marching around in a red super-hero cape. Whaaaat !!! Yep, you heard right folks! A red super-hero cape. It was Workforce Central Florida’s ingenious marketing campaign where they wasted $14,000 on 6000 red capes to hand out to job-seekers who visited their offices. People who were unemployed became extremely insulted and told Workforce personnel that their red capes weren't going to get any job seeker real employment. It was a *** and irresponsible waste of taxpayer’s money

This is what happens when marketing lets an "ad agency" put a tired "creative" idea before strategy, with no real insight or consideration of their audience. Way to think it through guys. It was also reported that Workforce of Central Florida spent $250,000 tax dollars on staff cars amongst the $73,000 wasted by the agency now currently being investigated. Governor Scott did right when he FIRED ALL of Central Florida Workforce Staff and their Board of Directors.

They should all be given one of their red Super-hero capes so they can jump off the tallest building in central Florida. "Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" Splat ! I’d presume the red cape didn’t help find you folks another job. Who willing to go first to see if that...

It’s high time to regulate all for-profit schools in Florida, Governor Scott. Students are losing their scholarships and grants to for profit schools leaving them in deep debt. Govt loans graduates can’t repay without jobs but for-profit schools are getting richer and not delivering the education they promised.

#342083

Don't let the winds of life take your ship without steering.Get a college education where they truly teach the foundations you'll need in life.

DeVry is NOT that place.

They are a business and their only motives are to get rich by enrolling any student who can pay cash, or has student scholarships like Bright Futures and government grants and military financial support.Please don;t waste your years at DeVry to realize in the end that the paper mill degree won't even get you through the front door of reputable companies.Most well-known companies will not consider you if DEVRY is where you graduated.

God should strike down on them and dissolve their stock value to 0. That is what their degrees are worth to students.

DeVry has screwed over many students' lives who put their trust in the people who run this business.They have taken away the dependable university education in exchange for greed.

Everyone who does their research will realize that DeVry's strategy is only getting a hold of students grants and scholarships.A shame that DeVry's corporate people don't think about the consequences of their selfish greed.

Here's the truth - You looked at Columbia and NYU and chose DeVry? Chances are, you would not get into either one. Since DeVry is open enrollment, you got in with anyone else that also has a pulse. Just as long as you could pay cash up front or are eligible for Free Govt grants or scholarships. Easy way for businesses like DeVry to get rich while you're so proud holding on to your toilet paper degree. What A Joke!

:grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin ...

Schools like DeVry only exist to make money, Not to educate, and each one is infamous for putting out uneducated and unprepared students. DeVry, ITT, etc. are glorified diploma mills who are helping to ruin the value of a college education by flooding the job market with meaningless degrees. Every employer I've talked about this with regards these schools as a joke and some even see a "degree" from one of these as an instant disqualifier. Everyone I've talked to who has attended one of these schools has said the education was very easy and that they weren't getting much out of it.

The student is tricked into thinking that going to DeVry will put them on a stable career track when in reality they end up exactly where they were before, lacking any serious credentials but with the additional burden of tens of thousands of dollars in debt to these fraudulent institutions. These schools are out to make a fortune on the backs of desperate young men and women, some of whom are parents and most of whom are poor.

I might have a different opinion on regulation if these colleges were worth the cost and actually gave a quality education. But since that isn't the case, regulate the *** out of them