YESTERDAY I DECIDED TO QUIT DEVRY AFTER 2 1/2 YRS. THE FOLLOWING REASONS WHY I MADE THIS DECISION ARE:
FIRST. I SHOULD HAVE DONE MY HOMEWORK ON DEVRY BUT I DID NOT KNOW ANYONE WHO ATTENDED THE SCHOOL FOR ADVICE SO I PARTIALLY BLAME MYSELF. THE ONLY GUIDANCE I HAD WAS FROM THE ADMISSION ADVISORS. WHEN YOU GO TO ORIENTATION THE SCHOOL INFORMS STUDENTS HOW GREAT SOME BENEFITS ARE AT DEVRY. FOR EXAMPLE: TUTORING AND SOME SOFTWARE PRODUCTS ARE AVAILABLE TO STUDENTS FOR FREE AND THAT’S SOMETHING YOU CANT GET AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE WHERE THEY CHARGE YOU. WELL BIG DEAL, SAY YOU SUCK AT MATH AND TUTORING IS ABOUT $100 PER SESSION. YOU KNOW WHAT, SAYS ITS $200 PER SESSION. YOU STILL ARE GOING TO BE SAVING MONEY IF YOU TAKE CLASSES AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE OPPOSE TO DEVRY.
THE FIRST RED FLAG I NOTICED ABOUT DEVRY ARE THE PROFESSORS. MOST PROFESSORS ARE GREAT BUT THEY HAVE TO TEACH BY THE BOOK. CLASSES ARE ONLY EIGHT WEEKS LONG RATHER THAN 15-18 WEEKS AT A COMMUNITY/MAJOR UNIVERSITY. SO PROFESSORS ARE RUSHING YOU TO COMPLETE YOUR COURSE.
FOR EXAMPLE I HAD A PROFESSOR IN A MATH CLASS THAT WOULD JUST SIT AROUND AND LET STUDENTS WORK ON THEIR MATH PROBLEMS OVER SOME COMPUTER SOFTWARE AND IF YOU NEEDED HELP THE PROFESSOR WOULD GO AROUND AND HELP THE STUDENT WITH A PROBLEM OR PROBLEM(S). WELL, WHEN YOU HAVE ABOUT 20-25 STUDENTS IN ONE CLASS AND MOST OF THE TIME HALF NEEDS HELP, FOUR HOURS GO BY FAST. AND WHEN IT’S TIME TO GO, SO IS THE PROFESSOR. SHE WOULDNT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS AFTER CLASS. SHE WOULD SAY "CLASS IS OVER AND I HAVE TO GO".
THE SECOND RED FLAG CAME WHEN YOU PROFESSORS AT DEVRY INFORMING THEIR OWN STUDENTS "IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE TAKING THEIR CLASS BECAUSE YOU CAN TAKE THE SAME CLASS AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE FOR THE SAME CREDIT" SOMETHING IS WRONG! I FINALLY DUMMIED UP AFTER 2 1/2 YEARS. IT MAKES NO SENSE GOING TO DEVRY AND PAYING OVER $600 PER CREDIT WHEN YOU CAN PAY BETWEEN $50-60 PER CREDIT AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE THAT CAN TRANSFERRED TO A UNIVERSITY. SO WHY IN THE WORLD PAY OVER $2500.00 FOR A FREAKIN FRESHMEN ENGLISH COURSE WHEN YOU CAN PAY $200-$250 FOR AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE.
THE THIRD FLAG WAS YOU HAVE TO GO BY DEVRY'S SCHEDULE. SAY FOR EXAMPLE YOU WANT TO TAKE ALL YOUR BASIC COURSES AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE..MAKES SENSE RIGHT? WELL ONE OF YOUR MAJOR COURSES IS NOT AVAILABLE JANUARY BUT IT’S AVAILABLE IN MARCH. FOR FINANCIAL AID TO PAY FOR COURSES THEY NEED TO BE TAKEN BOTH JAN, AND MAR.THEREFORE TAKING MONEY OUT OF YOUR FINANCIAL AID RATHER THAN SAVING.
THE FOURTH FLAG ARE THE STUDENT SUCCESS COACHES. WHEN YOU START AT DEVRY YOU ARE SET UP WITH A SUCCESS COACH THAT ADVISES YOU ABOUT YOUR FINANCIAL AID,CLASSES NEEDING TO BE TAKEN AND WHICH PATH TO GO WITH, ETC. YOU WOULD THINK YOU WOULD ONLY HAVE ONE SUCCESS COACH TO BE FAMILIAR AND COMFORTABLE WITH AND GUIDE YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. THE 2 1/2 YEARS I'VE BEEN THERE I LOST COUNT HOW MANY SUCCESS COACHES I HAD AND WHEN ONE COACH ADVISES ME ABOUT ONE THING, ANOTHER COACH WOULD TELL ME SOMETHING TOTALLY DIFFERENT CAUSING ALOT OF CONFUSION.
OVERALL, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DEVRY UNIVERSITY OR ANY FOR PROFIT SCHOOLS SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY HOG YOUR FINANCIAL AID. SIMPLE AS THAT.
BE PATIENT. WHAT I MEAN BY THAT IS BE FAMILIAR WITH YOUR COURSES. DO NOT RUSH TO GRADUATE LIKE DEVRY OFFERS. TAKE THE 15-18 WEEK COURSES. I COULD CARE LESS IF YOU ARE RIGHT OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL OR AN ADULT WITH A FAMILY BECAUSE I GUARANTEE YOU. IT’S GOING TO HELP IN THE LONG RUN.
YOU HAVE TO ASK YOURSELF, WOULD YOU RATHER PAY APPROX $2500 FOR AN ASSOCIATES DEGREE OR $30-40K FOR AN ASSOCIATES DEGREE AT DEVRY?
WOULD YOU PAY $18-30K FOR A BACHELORS DEGREE AT A UNIVERSITY OR $60-80K PLUS FOR A BACHELORS AT DEVRY? BY THE WAY, THE MAX YOU CAN BORROW FROM THE GOVT IS UNDER 60K SO IF YOU NEED MORE MONEY TO PAY CLASSES, I WAS ADVISED TO SIGN UP FOR SCHOLARSHIPS AND STUDENT LOANS FROM A BANK CAUSING YOU MORE DEBT. GREAT ADVICE FROM MY SUCCESS COACH, HUH?
AS FOR ME, IM ALMOST 30K IN DEBT AND I ONLY TOOK ONE MAJOR COURSE WITH 19 MORE COURSES LEFT. SO YOU DO THE MATH. THERE WAS NO WAY I COULD HAVE MADE IT. I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS YOU GUYS AND I WISH YOU THE BEST.
More Review Details
|Product or Service Quality|
What I liked
- Discounted major software
What I disliked
- Tuition fees
- Fast-paced courses
- Classes not available to register
- Product or service
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "I would like to complain the fraud institution STEi and COSS. STEi in a Singapore college which is providing 3 months studies and 6 months internship. The Principal marketing agent..."
- "If you are thing about buying a Tutor Doctor Franchise think again! This is very poorly run Franchise with Incompetent Management Team.Before you buy you need contact as many..."
- "I have attended many internet marketing seminars and previews over the years. This time I attended Brett McFall seminar preview while I was in Melbourne. To be frank, it is..."
- "beware that this individual is now doing business under these other names: opera fashion group inc opera fashion group llc opera by sueli costa llc gabikini bossa beach AMONG MANY OTHERS. this individual is a..."
- "Elizabeth Muelhaupt, Bruce Spurlock and Dallas Crawley formed a company called BDL Solutions in August of 2010 when their Mortgage operation Discount Mortgage Relief collapsed. The company was a debt..."
- "I went to dinner in the lower Greenville area of Dallas TX and went to a birthday party after. At 2:30 AM I discovered that I was towed from the..."
- "I bought a whirlpool washer and got arrested in the and I bought extended warranty and they won't fix it..."
- "It always interesting how all the review sites show either unhappy customers or happy customers. Come on people, when you process thousands of orders, not all transactions will go..."
- "Every Ulta that my mother and I have been to has been a very poor experience in terms of customer service. Everyone has the personality of a potato. They are..."